Monday, January 23, 2017

New Online Catalog For Genealogy eBooks

Hi.  My name is Denise and I am a bibliophile. I admit it. I have loved books since I was a kid and, in spite of my romance with technology, I still can't think of a better way to spend an afternoon than in a bookstore. I have pared down my collection of "real" books over the years in favor of digital books (sometimes referred to as ebooks).  I have over 700 at the moment. This format allows me to access any of the books in my collection anywhere at any time from my Kindle Fire, laptop or Chromebook. It is the quintessential, instant, portable library.  And, if I don't have a resource I need, I can usually find it in one of the millions of library resources or ebook sellers around the world and access or download it in a nanosecond.  It just doesn't get any better than that.

If you follow Eastman's Online Genealogy Newsletter, you probably saw his recent post entitled, Genealogy Publishing Company Adds A New Online Catalog Solely For Genealogy eBooks.  In it he talks about a new ebook store just for genealogists at Genealogical.com.

One of the advantages of buying ebooks is that they are usually less expensive than their physical cousins and, of course, you don't have to wait for it to be delivered.  According to Dick Eastman,

At Genealogical.com you can:
  • Search for books by locality, subject, time period, and other categories.
  • Look inside the book to view pages from the publication and search within the text.
  • Buy the book easily with just one click, registering with Google, Facebook, or your e-mail.
  • Read the book instantly on our site or download it to the eReader of your choice.
  • Cut and paste content directly from the book to your genealogical project, without having to retype the information.

I particularly like the last item as most ebooks you purchase through Amazon.com or other sellers preclude you from copying/pasting text due to copyright restrictions. 

I highly recommend you read Dick Eastman's post and check out this new genealogy library. The more you read, the more you will know!





No comments:

Post a Comment