Thursday, August 6, 2015

7 Reasons Why You Can't Find our Ancestors Online



For those of you who didn't know, Geneaolgists.com is the largest genealogy research firm in the world. When you can no longer figure out how to get around a brick wall - these folks can usually find what you are looking for. As someone who has used professional family history researchers, albeit not this one, I can tell you, it is a good value.

They recently did a blog post entitled, 7 Reasons Why You Can't Find Your Ancestors Online which is well worth the read.  I am not advocating that professional help is the answer to all your brick wall problems. I have learned a great deal about family history research by struggling on my own to find what I need, using the resources available in the genealogy blogosphere and the zillion other resources available on and off line.  I know what I know now because I know how to look for ways to find what I need to know.  That may sound like gobbly-gook, until you think about it a bit.  I have spent endless hours just researching my research - looking for resources, guides, databases, etc. that offer new ways to find what I am looking for.

But I also know that there is only so much you can do on your own, and hiring professional help is often cheaper and more efficient than other alternatives.  There are only so many hours in the day and how many of them one chooses to devote to this process often drives decisions on how best to reach one's goals.  That said, I hope you will read the 7 Reasons Why blog post and bookmark the home page of Genealogists.com for future reference.

--  submitted by Denise Doyon

No comments:

Post a Comment