Thursday, March 2, 2017

Don't Forget To Tell Your Story




All of us are busy working on our family history research.  Each of us is in a different place. Some of us have been doing this for YEARS, and others are just starting out. Regardless of what we plan to DO with all this work, the goal is to satisfy our own curiosity and leave a legacy for our descendants.  

We are told, over and over again, not to forget to interview our parents, grand parents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and any other person who has traveled through the lives of our family in order to gather as much information as possible. The one person you know the most about - yourself - is probably the one source of information you are totally ignoring in your search to leave behind a substantive record for generations yet to be born.

I have always kept a journal and as a result, all through my family history quest, I have kept notes, thoughts, recorded and written, about the journey. It is my record of how I am creating what I am creating. I have also started a folder in Evernote where I am stashing ideas, photos, things that pop into my head when I least expect them, notes and memories that I will, eventually, incorporate into a personal memoir of MY life.  Because who knows more about me than me!

There are a number of resources out there that can help you tell your story.  One of them is Legacy Tale. If you are interested in exploring the possibilities for telling your story, I recommend you check them out.  

Don't let your story get lost among all the hard work you are doing digging up the tales of your ancestors. You may not think you have anything much to tell, but generations from now, your story could be an inspiration to someone you will never have the opportunity to meet. How exciting would be it if you could locate a book written by your great-great-grandmother about her life? Don't forget to leave something of yourself among the bits and pieces of your past.





No comments:

Post a Comment