I am doing research for an article I am writing about the Baby Boomer generation and their contribution to the genealogy community. As part of my research, I am compiling a list entitled, "Baby Boomers are the Last Generation to...".
At the moment, my list includes:
- Ride in a car without a seatbelt
- Walk to school
- Use a rotary dial phone
- Make a phone call using an operator
- Remember switchboards
- Share a "party line"
- Grow up without a computer
- Remember when stores were closed on Sunday
- Remember when stores closed each day at 6PM (Noon on Saturday)
- Get up and walk to the TV to change the channel or volume
- Remember black & white TV
- Play outside (until the street lights came one)
- Walk or bike to and from the playground (library, corner store, friend's house, etc.)
- Learn to drive on a manual transmission
- Remember toys without batteries
- Have the first transistor radios
You get the picture. I would love to get input from all of you. I am sure you can all think up dozens of items I can add to this list.
If you would like to spend a few minutes having some fun with this, please email me your list at email@example.com. Put "Baby Boomers" in the subject line. When I get the list compiled, I will share it in a blog post for all to enjoy - and give credit to my fellow genealogists at D.I.R.T. for their input on my article.